Connect with us

Current Events

WHO Chief Backs Neil Young Over Covid Misinformation Row With Spotify

Avatar

Published

on

The World Health Organization chief has backed the veteran rock star Neil Young in his dispute with the music streaming behemoth Spotify, thanking the musician for “standing up against misinformation and inaccuracies” around Covid vaccinations.

Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, WHO’s director general, tweeted that “we all have a role to play to end this pandemic and infodemic” – in particular social media platforms.

Spotify has begun removing Young’s music from its platform after an ultimatum issued by the star earlier this week to the company. Referring to controversial podcasts by Joe Rogan hosted by Spotify, Young said: “They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.”

Spotify swiftly made its choice, triggering an almighty storm over anti-vaccine conspiracy theories, cancel culture and the policing of social media.

Many of Young’s fans and supporters of his stance called for a boycott of the streaming platform, and for other artists to follow his lead. “I stand with Neil Young” and “#CancelSpotify” became rallying calls on social media on Thursday.

The actor and activist Mia Farrow tweeted: “Wow @Spotify you chose to keep creepy, dangerous liar Joe Rodan over the magnificent Neil Young ?”

There was no immediate sign of other big names in the music industry siding with Young against Spotify – an indication perhaps of its market dominance. Between 2010 and 2020, Spotify’s share of the US music market rose from 7% to 83%.

The controversy began with an open letter from Young to his manager and record label, posted earlier this week but since taken down. The Joe Rogan Experience podcast, hosted exclusively on Spotify and with an estimated audience of 11 million, had “tremendous influence”, the letter said.

“Spotify is spreading fake information about vaccines – potentially causing death to those who believe the disinformation being spread by them,” Young wrote. The streaming platform had a responsibility to “mitigate the spread of misinformation on its platform.”

He instructed his manager to “let Spotify know immediately TODAY that I want all my music off their platform. They can have Rogan or Young. Not both.”

In a statement issued on Wednesday, Spotify responded by saying: “We regret Neil’s decision to remove his music from Spotify, but hope to welcome him back soon.”

The company also said it had “detailed content policies in place and we’ve removed over 20,000 podcast episodes relating to Covid since the start of the pandemic”.

Rogan signed a $100m deal in 2020 giving Spotify exclusive rights to his show, which features conversations with guests on a range of issues, including politics, comedy, conspiracies and cancel culture. It is Spotify’s most popular podcast and one of the biggest in the world.

Three months ago, the company reported its revenue had grown 27% over the previous year, and it named the Joe Rogan Experience as a factor in the double digit growth in its podcast business.

Last year, Rogan was criticised by the White House chief medical adviser Anthony Fauci for suggesting that young, healthy Americans did not need to be vaccinated against Covid. The comment was “incorrect”, said Fauci.

In the past few weeks, hundreds of scientists and medical experts have signed an open letter to Spotify, saying that Rogan had “repeatedly spread misleading and false claims on his podcast, provoking distrust in science and medicine” and had “spread a number of unsubstantiated conspiracy theories”.

They highlighted a three-hour episode of Rogan’s podcast, in which Robert Malone, a scientist and vaccine sceptic, claimed that “a third of the population” had “become hypnotised” through “mass formation psychosis” as if in Nazi Germany and “totally wrapped up in whatever Fauci in the mainstream media feeds them”.

Despite Spotify’s claim that it has removed thousands of podcasts relating to Covid since the start of the pandemic, Rogan has repeatedly said the company has not policed his content.

“Spotify has asked me to change nothing. They’ve never – they’ve been amazing. I’m very happy with them, I’m very happy,” he said last year.

Young, 76, whose hits include Heart of Gold, Harvest Moon, Helpless and Keep on Rockin’ in the Free World, has a long if inconsistent political history. His album, Living With War, released in the aftermath of the Iraq war, called for the impeachment of President George W Bush.

Donald Trump, he said, had “betrayed the people, exaggerated and amplified the truth to foment hatred” and that “social media … is crippling our belief system, turning us against one another.”

Last year, he sold half of the rights to his song catalogue to Hipgnosis for an undisclosed amount, but believed to be nine figures.

A clue to his views on viruses and vaccines may be found in his autobiography, Waging Heavy Peace, published in 2012. He recalls contracting polio as a five-year-old before a vaccine was widely available, quoting his brother, Bob: “It was obvious that his life was on the line.”

Young wrote: “We had a quarantine sign on our house that said Poliomyelitis on it, and warned people about not entering or something to that effect. No one wanted to be near me for a while.”

He has had other serious health issues during his life, including epilepsy and a brain aneurysm.

A spokesperson for Young said it was not known whether the star would make any further comment on the issues concerning Spotify and Joe Rogan. “He’s very much his own person on things like this,” the spokesperson said.

Spotify has been contacted for comment.

Read More

Source: theguardian.com

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Current Events

Priti Patel’s Rwanda Asylum Seeker Plan Faces First Legal Challenge

Avatar

Published

on

By

Priti Patel’s plan to deport asylum seekers to Rwanda is facing its first legal challenge after a charity instructed lawyers to demand the disclosure of documents because of fears the policy is contrary to international law.

In a pre-action letter to the Home Office, which is expected to lead to a judicial review claim, the solicitors Leigh Day stated that the charity Freedom from Torture “has serious concerns about the lawfulness of the policy”.

It has requested “disclosure of information regarding the policy”, including documents outlining it, risk assessments and the memorandum of understanding signed by the UK and Rwandan governments.

Under the deal, signed off by Patel and praised by Boris Johnson as a way of saving hundreds of people from trafficking, those arriving by small boat across the Channel would be flown with a one-way ticket to Rwanda.

Britain has promised Rwanda an initial GBP120m as part of an “economic transformation and integration fund” but the UK will be paying for operational costs too. However, no details have been released by the Home Office.

The home secretary issued a rare ministerial direction to overrule concerns of civil servants about whether the scheme would deliver value for money.

Sign up to First Edition, our free daily newsletter – every weekday morning at 7am BST

Patel has been the subject of significant judicial criticism for repeatedly failing to disclose key policy documents, including those relating to the confiscation of phones from newly arrived refugees and contentious plans to task Border Force to “push back” boats carrying refugees across the Channel.

Freedom from Torture, a London-based charity, was part of a successful challenge to stop the pushback of boats in the Channel. The government officially withdrew those plans on Sunday, just days before a judicial review of the tactic was due to be heard in the high court.

A crowdfunding appeal will be launched by the charity to help raise funds to cover the costs of the legal challenge, which it hopes will lead to the Home Office policy being withdrawn.

Sonya Sceats, the chief Executive at Freedom from Torture, said: “The outpouring of compassion for those fleeing Ukraine and Afghanistan has shown that the public wants people seeking safety to be welcomed. But instead, this government is planning to ship refugees halfway around the world to Rwanda. We shouldn’t have to resort to legal action for this government to treat refugees with basic human dignity – but here we are again.

“This cruel plan is not only deeply immoral and likely unlawful, it would also deny torture survivors and others access to vital trauma services like those provided by Freedom from Torture. Up and down the country, people are beginning to mobilise against this government’s cynical efforts to stoke fear and xenophobia against refugees. This action is one part of a wider fight by the caring public to tell the government that this heartless policy is not in our name.”

Fewer than 200 people who came to the UK without authorisation would have been sent to Rwanda last year, analysis of government figures found.

The Refugee Council said 172 people could have been sent to the east African country had a deal been in place. It estimates that this year the number is not likely to be much higher.

The figures cast doubt on Johnson’s claim that “tens of thousands” of people who have arrived in the UK without authorisation could be given a one-way ticket to Rwanda.

A Home Office spokesperson said the agreement requires Rwanda to process claims in accordance with the UN Refugee Convention, ensuring protection from inhuman and degrading treatment.

“Our new migration and economic development partnership with Rwanda fully complies with all international and national law. Whilst we expect the Partnership to be challenged in the court, we will defend any legal challenge robustly.”

Read More

Continue Reading

Current Events

Ukraine Crisis: Putin Says Russia’s Security Proposals ‘ignored’ by the West – Live

Avatar

Published

on

By

Our central and eastern Europe correspondent, Shaun Walker, is also at the palace:

It turns out that the last time a British prime minister was in Ukraine was John Major in 1996.

Back then, just five years after Ukrainian independence, the questions on the agenda were British support for Ukraine and the clean-up of the Chernobyl site.

It’s taken 22 years for another British prime minister to arrive, and Johnson is only staying in town for a few hours.

Luke Harding
(@lukeharding1968)

Just arrived at the Mariinski palace where Boris Johnson is holding talks with Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy. Snow in the ornamental gardens and a district chill in the air. Weeks into this crisis the big question unclear: will #Russia invade? pic.twitter.com/TvbH1y5bWi

February 1, 2022

Nicola Sturgeon has called on the prime minister to tackle the corrupting influence of Russian oligarchs in London’s financial industry and the Conservative party, suggesting that his inaction has directly contributed to Vladimir Putin’s sense of impunity over Ukraine.

As Boris Johnson flew to Kyiv on Tuesday – in a show of solidarity and with hopes of distracting from the continuing domestic crisis around Downing Street’s lockdown parties – Sturgeon urged him to “rebuild his government’s tattered reputation” by taking overdue action on Russian funding in the Conservative party and “Londongrad”-style influence operations in the UK.

Writing for the Guardian, Scotland’s first minister said: “We cannot be blind to the circumstances which have led to the current crisis, and that includes the situation where wealth with direct links to the Putin regime has been allowed to proliferate here in the UK with often the scantest of regard paid to its provenance or to the influence it seeks to bring to bear on our society.

“[Johnson] must recognise that both his government and his party have enabled this situation, and he must acknowledge that the most resolute action he can take is at home, to rebuild his government’s tattered reputation.”

During his brief trip to Kyiv, Boris Johnson is also doing some local sightseeing. He is holding talks shortly with Volodymr Zelenskiy at the president’s official residence, a vividly turquoise baroque palace overlooking the Dnipro River.

The architect of the Mariinski building is Bartolomeo Rastrelli, who also designed the winter palace in St Petersburg, as well as other imperial masterpieces.

After a press conference scheduled for 6.45pm local time (4.45pm GMT), Johnson and Zelenskiy are due to visit St Sophia Cathedral, Kyiv’s oldest standing church.

Dating back to the 11th century, it was built to celebrate Prince Yaroslav’s victory over tribal raiders. The prince’s tomb is on the ground floor. The cathedral’s wedding-cake bell tower – a later baroque addition – is one of the capital’s most famous sights, now dusted with snow.

Read More

Continue Reading

Current Events

Belgian Civil Servants Given Legal Right to Disconnect From Work

Avatar

Published

on

Belgian civil servants will no longer need to answer emails or phone calls out of hours after the country became the latest in Europe to offer workers the right to disconnect.

The law, which comes into effect on Tuesday, means 65,000 federal officials are able to make themselves unavailable at the end of the normal working day unless there are “exceptional” reasons for not doing so.

There are also government plans to extend the right to private-sector employees despite the opposition of some business groups.

Petra De Sutter, the Belgian minister for public administration, said the law was necessary to combat a culture of people feeling they should always be available.

That perception is said to have been exacerbated by the necessity to work from home during the Covid pandemic, a situation that is likely to lead to permanent changes in people’s habits.

In a recent survey on remote working more than four out of five (84%) Belgians, of which 40% held managerial positions, said they would like to continue to work from home for two or more days a week post-pandemic.

Without the right to disconnect, said De Sutter, “the result will be stress and burnout and this is the real disease of today”.

The federal government is also examining a proposal to move to a four-day week of 38 to 40 hours for full-time staff, meaning longer working days but a three-day weekend.

Belgium has followed a trend set in Europe by Volkswagen in Germany, which decided in 2012 to ban certain employees from accessing emails after hours in order to avoid burnout.

In France, the sense that a different work-life balance needed to be struck was turned into action in 2017, when organisations with more than 50 workers were required to start negotiations to define the rights of employees to ignore their company smartphones and laptops.

Portugal went further last year by approving legislation under which employers with more than 10 staff can be liable to fines if they text message, phone or email workers who are off the clock. Companies must help pay for expenses incurred by remote working.

However, the Portuguese parliament rejected a proposal to include a legal right to switch off work-related messages and devices outside office hours.

Last November, the European parliament backed a resolution calling on the European Commission to draft an EU-wide law that would protect workers who wished to “disconnect”.

Alex Agius Saliba, a Maltese MEP, who drove the vote, said: “We cannot abandon millions of European workers who are exhausted by the pressure to be always ‘on’ and overly long working hours.

“Now is the moment to stand by their side and give them what they deserve: the right to disconnect. This is vital for our mental and physical health. It is time to update worker’s rights so that they correspond to the new realities of the digital age.”

Read More

Source: theguardian.com

Continue Reading

Trending

SDIM.com